...there's no place like the Turnpike

A displaced Jersey girl who adjusted to life in Kentucky just in time to head back home.

Monday, June 19, 2006

Grr. People annoy me sometimes

Critical to understanding my complaint here is a little knowledge of the layout of our neighborhood. Our house is on a relatively busy secondary urban street. People have postage-stamp front and back yards and no driveways. Instead, everyone's parking space and/or garage sits facing a narrow street (more or less an alleyway) behind the house that is accessed by one of two equally small, narrow streets. It's hard going if you come down these streets and someone else is trying to pass in the opposite direction...it's that kind of narrow.

7:30 p.m. I'm on my way home from the gym. All I want to do is get inside and cook dinner. I turn off of the street on which I live and onto the little street that will lead to the alley behind the house.

There's a blockage.

Two morons have somehow managed to have a fender-bender at the intersection back there. How do you hit someone when you should both be driving about 15 mph?? Whatever.

Here's my complaint. Why do so many people firmly believe that not only do the police not want you to stop blocking traffic with your minor accident, but they will go so far as to refuse to take a report if you do? Cops are smarter than that. They can still figure out who was positioned where. I have a friend who is a former cop, he said they would much rather you remove both cars from the road, so long as they can be moved.

No. Let's block up a narrow intersection and risk another accident by making everyone who comes towards you back down the alley and onto a busy street to go around you.

As if this weren't bad enough, when I finally did get to the garage and got out of the car to cross the street and go open my garage, some other idiot nearly hit me as he came barreling down the alley at 40 mph.

There are innocent bunnies and kittens living back there people!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home