...there's no place like the Turnpike

A displaced Jersey girl who adjusted to life in Kentucky just in time to head back home.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Life Would Be Simpler

I have married a full on redneck boy from Kentucky. Redneck, though not in the worst ways, and proud of it. I am starting to realize that there are many things to envy about his life.

He is one of the most laid back people I have ever met. Very few things actually get him truly fired up. I long to ever be that relaxed. This boy is so relaxed that he barely needs sleep since he isn't really expending himself as much as the rest of us when he is awake.

However, the quality I envy most is his total lack of a social conscience. He can walk into a Walmart, find what he needs on the shelf, stand in the interminable line to get it and then leave the store and go about his day to day business.

I, on the other hand, will stress over them not having exactly what I need, get frustrated by the long line and the slow employees at the reguster and leave feeling horribly guilty that I just supported the most evil corporation I can think of.

It seems relaxing to go through life not worried about the grander social implications of my daily activities. He has never asked himself "Is this the restaurant that fired a waiter for being 'too gay' for their image?" "Is this the store whose major shareholder supports the bombing of abortion clinics?" "Was this shirt made by a four year old who makes ten cents a day and will be sold as a servant following her debilitating sewing machine accident?" "Was this manufactured by a company that dumps chemicals into the Monangahela River?"

I wish I could be so at ease.

But then I'd feel guilty about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home