...there's no place like the Turnpike

A displaced Jersey girl who adjusted to life in Kentucky just in time to head back home.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Boredom

I know that it's stupid to complain about this when people have lost everything to this storm, but it has left me bored out of my mind.

I'm learning that I am not cut out for a life of leisure.

Our entire town completely escaped damage more severe than blown over roadside signs, but just north of us the rivers and creeks are raging. Most importantly, the Raritan River crested somewhere around ten feet above flood stage.

My work is just across the street from the Raritan and right now access to the building is spotty. One of the major highways leading there remains completely under water, and, as best I can tell, the last thing the state police need are several hundred employees trying to get through.

For two days in a row now, I have been halfway to work when it occurs to me to call the weather hotline. This means that I learn that I don't have work at the worst possible time. I'm up. I'm dressed. And I have nowhere to go.

There is only so much I can do online. There is only so much bad daytime TV I can watch. Now, I'm just hoping the waters recede tomorrow so I can go to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home