...there's no place like the Turnpike

A displaced Jersey girl who adjusted to life in Kentucky just in time to head back home.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Planning

I'm not an urban planner. I'm not a city administrator. I was never even all that good at SimCity. But I have to be better than whoever is in charge in the city where I work.

The city in which I work is home to a large number of companies and they are all clustered on or near River Rd., a narrow, windy road that twists one lane in either direction along the Raritan River. It's notoriously slow the minute there are more than five cars within two miles of one another.

So, when would be the best time to trim the copious number of trees lining this scenic nightmare? Why, 4:30 pm on a Tuesday just as the thousands of employees of the aforementioned companies are trying desperately to be anywhere other than River Rd.

I don't blame the poor guys in charge of holding up the Stop/Slow sign, but they certainly weren't helping. I assume they all drive to and from work. You would think they would have a better sense of how long is too long to keep one side moving and the other stewing in their cars.

A little forethought could have gotten the trees trimmed and everyone home with lightly lower blood pressure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home