...there's no place like the Turnpike

A displaced Jersey girl who adjusted to life in Kentucky just in time to head back home.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Modern marvels

I recently read this vaguely disturbing story on CNN.com I'm really kind of creeped out that someone could go trough this experience and actually be aware of their skill slipping off of their spine. But at the same time, I'm amazed that I live in a world where that sort of thing is possible. That there are ways to surgically reattach a person's head (essentially).

The Jetsons promised me that by the 21st century we'd have flying cars and moving sidewalks and three hour work days and robot maids. I think I was twelve when I figured out that wasn't going to happen.

Back to the Future II promised me that in eight years from now I will have hover boards and flying cars (why do we all want our cars to fly?) and giant video TVs and mega-dehydrated food. The only things even close to real are the biometric locks on car doors and the 80s nostalgia cafe.

But despite my lack of science fiction like technology, we live in a pretty advanced time. My TV can's respond to voice controls, but it can learn what I like to watch and record it for me.

My car can't fly, but it can keep running on a flat tire and alert me to all sorts of internal problems.

We can't teleport, but I can chat in real time with my friend in Australia through instant messaging.

We aren't vacationing on Mars, but wealthy people can buy their way into space, and the space tourism is becoming a reality.

Medical science can't cure death, but it certainly seems able to cheat it a bit more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home