...there's no place like the Turnpike

A displaced Jersey girl who adjusted to life in Kentucky just in time to head back home.

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Oh, to have such a troubled life

I recently switched gyms and the new one isn't so much a gym as an upscale YMCA on steroids. It has a babysitting room, karate classes, dance classes, gymnastics, a computer room, a full-sized baseball academy, indoor and outdoor pools, the list goes on and on.

Any place with this kind of facilities, of course, runs a decent sized day camp. Monday, as I was coming in, a harried looking mother was retrieving her two children from the aforementioned camp. I didn't get a good look at the girl, because her brother (roughly age 8) distracted me. He was remarking, in a very exasperated way, "No, I didn't have any downtime today."

I wanted to turn to him and scream, "You're a child at day camp. Your entire day is down time. Don't you understand?" But I didn't think it would go over so well with his mother...

1 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, Blogger wonderturtle said...

I think it's disturbing that an 8 year old is even familiar with the phrase "down time."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home