...there's no place like the Turnpike

A displaced Jersey girl who adjusted to life in Kentucky just in time to head back home.

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Oh! Canada!

I got to Canada for a conference on Tuesday. It was Canada Day. We joined in the celebrations by going to a place called The Loose Moose and having a few Strongbows while amusing ourselves at the expense of a very nice, very cute bartender.

I could move to this country. The bartender told us "It's just like the States, but with fewer guns." If the guns are the only difference, then we should seriously consider tighter controls. The people here are so happy and so friendly.

So much so, that I have decided to think of all of the things besides fewer guns that would make them so much kinder:

1. Peacekeepers, not peacemakers. Fewer people try to get revenge on you when you're just maintaining the status quo.

2. Close ties to jolly old England. What's not to be happy about,

3. Hockey. It's fun to watch and a good, healthy way to blow off aggression.

4. Not despised by nearly as many countries as we are.

5. Something like 70% of the population lives within 200 miles of the US border (don't quote me on that), that means there are lots of nice empty places to "get away from it all."

6. Taking real action on the environment. I reads somewhere that Toronto is the greenest city in North America.

7. Rick Moranis, John Candy and the Kids in the Hall.

5 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, Blogger Clarion Content said...

Plus, unlike most of the States, global warming will make a Canada nicer place to live! Its gonna have to get awful hot before Canada becomes swampy or muggy, but a couple degrees warmer, sounds like perfect like Autumn in western New York...

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger dc20 said...

C'mon. You don't really want to move to Canada...because you certainly could if you wanted to. Despite its problems, you obviously still like America better or you would in fact leave. Actions speak louder than words, right? I lived there 24-7 for two years, and it's not just like America, with or without the guns. Fact is, Canada has its own set of problems and drawbacks and you know it, or you'd be gone already. Summoning up the old cliche...it's a great place to visit, you wouldn't want to live there. Really.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger jerseyaikidogirl said...

I never said I had a problem with America. I just said I really like Toronto and could live there too. I have a Kentucky boy at home that steadfastly objects to winters that are that cold, so it's a non-issue.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger dc20 said...

I'm just sayin'...

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Sue I. said...

I like Toronto too...to get landed immigrant status you have to have a skill that no other Canadian has...which for you might Cap'n gingivitis. I'm doomed--no one needs lawyers...still I wish they still wore the wigs...they stopped, damn that would have been sweet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home