...there's no place like the Turnpike

A displaced Jersey girl who adjusted to life in Kentucky just in time to head back home.

Friday, April 18, 2008

In times of crisis

I wasn't sure if I was going to post about this, or how, but it's been hanging over me all week, so I might as well. Over the weekend, a coworker lost her young adult son in a motorcycle accident. It's times like this that either bring out the best or the worst in people.

I work in a department of about 30 people and, like any other group of people who spend a lot of time together, we have our ups and downs. For the most part, it's like a big extended family. You like some of your cousins, you can't stand others, but when push comes to shove, they're yours. So, it was no surprise to me how quickly everyone rallied around to support this woman in such a horrible time.

It was a matter of minutes before a collection was taken up and a card passed around. Tuesday, almost everyone went to the viewing, even people who barely knew this woman.

Everyone, that is, except one guy. This particular gentleman always seems to have a complaint about everyone and is, in his mind, always the victim of some sort of discrimination. When he was approached about whether or not he needed to follow someone to the funeral home, he said, "I'm not going. She was never nice to me. She never liked me." Someone tried to explain to him that this wasn't about that. It was about the fact that this could happen to any of us. That, he himself, had kids and should understand.

Not only did he refuse to go. He lied and said he was going and used the situation to leave work early.

This week showed me the kindest, most sensitive side of 99% of my coworkers, but it's that last 1% that has left a bad taste in my mouth.

6 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger Clarion Content said...

Karma.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger jerseyaikidogirl said...

I hope so. He talks about and screws over everyone but the company seems to be afraid of him. Rumor is he once tried to sue for discrimination.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Sue I. said...

Well if he sues again, your story would be of interest to your employer.

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger jerseyaikidogirl said...

he would never be successful. but the company is too big to let it go that far and would settle to shit him up.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger wonderturtle said...

He is slowly poisoning himself. Steer clear.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Sue I. said...

I've often thought people settle to "shit people up." That makes sense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home