...there's no place like the Turnpike

A displaced Jersey girl who adjusted to life in Kentucky just in time to head back home.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

And then she got political

This morning I was reminded of why I worry about the power of the religious movement in America today. The following line, from a woman waiting for Singles' Bible Study (um...Singles' Bible Study? Is this to imply we now advertise Bible study as a meat market?) at a Texas Mega Church, was aired in an NPR story on the upcoming Democratic Primary:

"As a woman, of course I admire how far Hillary Clinton has been able to go with this. But I also believe in the submission of women to men. I believe that we need to have a man running this country."

Would someone like to tell all of the female lawyers and executives and professors out there that they (we?) should be submitting to men to restore order in the universe?

3 Comments:

At 9:35 PM, Blogger Clarion Content said...

With that attitude she wouldn't have survived high school in Jersey.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger wonderturtle said...

I totally heard that!!! Reminds me of the beliefs of a certain roommate we had in college (about why the Catholic church doesn't have female priests...)

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Sue I. said...

All of these Christian submissive-speak things are best if you think of them as fortune cookie phrases:
"Women should be submissive to men...in bed"
"Women belong in the home....in bed"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home