...there's no place like the Turnpike

A displaced Jersey girl who adjusted to life in Kentucky just in time to head back home.

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Overheard in a bookstore

Bookstores are sacred places to me, so it really really bugs me when people walk the aisles having loud conversations on their cell phones. Tonight, every aisle I went down I was plagued by a woman with a particularly loud voice having a particularly odd conversation. Here, are the parts I heard. 

"Is this person someone you can confide in?"
"Is this the person you're going away with?"
"Why are you being so secretive about everything?"
(At this point, I dodged her for several minutes, so I missed a lot.)
"No. Coming out is very difficult."
"No. I wasn't shocked."

Okay, so here's what I pieced together. She was talking to a friend who was telling her about someone special in his/her life and whomever she was talking to was playing the pronoun game avoiding gender and then the person on the other end of the phone came out of the closet. All this while loudmouth was browsing the shelves in a bookstore...wow.

2 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, Blogger wonderturtle said...

Jeez. No wonder they didn't come out to her sooner; what a paragon of sensitivity.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger jerseyaikidogirl said...

Well, she was looking for a book, after all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home