...there's no place like the Turnpike

A displaced Jersey girl who adjusted to life in Kentucky just in time to head back home.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The dumbest thing I've done in a long time

We live in a townhouse. We only have a 6 foot x 3 foot patch of land that is ours to deal with. We are terribly negligent gardeners, so by Monday, when our next door neighbor was out gardening, ours looked like a small jungle. I was embarassed enough that I went outside to deal with it.

About half an hour into the work, I looked at the plant in my bare hands and realized that it looked an awful lot like poison ivy. Poison ivy to which I am exquisitely sensitive. Stupidly, I thought to myself, "Well, I'm already kneee and elbow deep in it, might as well finish the job."

Now it is 60 hours later. I have the worst case of poison ivy I or the physician's assistant in my doctor's office have ever seen. I have rashes fully up to my elbows on both arms and less scary ones crawling up both legs to my knees.

I was dumb enough to wear sandles, so the tops of my feet are red and swollen. I must have wiped my face, because my entire face is covered in a painful, itchy, hot red mask of torture.

The PA had a really hard time not laughing at me. I would, too, if it weren't so uncomfortable.

3 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Blogger Sue I. said...

oh no! That totally sucks. A certain someone I know is so allergic he would be dead if he did what you did--seriously. Hope you feel better soon--it will go away!

 
At 5:04 AM, Blogger jerseyaikidogirl said...

Steroids are my friend. Perhaps in another day or so I won't wake up looking like Chunk from "Goonies."

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger wonderturtle said...

Oh sunshine, I'm so sorry! This is what happens when we try to keep up with the Joneses. Screw the Joneses!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home