...there's no place like the Turnpike

A displaced Jersey girl who adjusted to life in Kentucky just in time to head back home.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Harriet the Spy


I've decided to do an occasional series on the books that moved me throughout my life. Since I was an early and voracious reader, it makes sense to start with the books I recall from my childhood. Harriet the Spy stands out the most, so that's where I'll start.

I first read Harriet the Spy when I was six years old. I was in love immediately. I read the sequels (even Sport). I wrote book reports on it in every grade from second to fifth.

But most of all, I wanted to be Harriet.

It started innocently, I asked for a small notebook to carry with me everywhere I went. I think I still have one. It's more of a collection of three to four sentence essays on my life. The others had actual observations in them. I learned from Harriet's mistakes, I kept my thoughts well hidden at all times.

As I got braver, I started to listen in when the kids next door were getting yelled at. I would creep around the house peering into the windows of the old lady on the other side of us. When I was left alone to prowl the block (I wasn't allowed to cross the street), I would write down things I discovered people doing. I would make up life stories for the people who failed to do anything interesting.

I never stopped observing people, I just stopped writing it all down. It was much safer that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home