...there's no place like the Turnpike

A displaced Jersey girl who adjusted to life in Kentucky just in time to head back home.

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Abuse of power

This morning, as I slogged through my morning commute, I witnessed the most blatant abuse of power I have seen recently.

I was driving along the same long stretch of two-lane highway I travel for miles every day when my early-morning fog was broken by a quick flash of red and blue lights. I wondered for a moment how any soul had driven fast enough in this growing crowd to warrant a speeding ticket.

After a moment, I saw two cars pull into the left lane and I continued to wonder which one was the culprit. But instead of following them into the right lane and off of the road, the officer turned his lights off and moved on. S/he didn't seem to be in any particular hurry and neither lights nor siren made a command appearance.

As best I can tell, this fine upstanding citizen, a representative of our government decided that having cars in front of him/her on the road was too burdensome and chose to abuse the authority of his office to make them move.

Appalling.

4 Comments:

At 5:06 PM, Blogger Clarion Content said...

One would think we, the citizens, worked for the cops, not vice versa. What ever happened to protect and serve, those are our tax dollars in use?

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger jerseyaikidogirl said...

when i lived in Cincinnati, 80% of the police force came from a single boys' Catholic high school. These boys had such a sense of self importance that it's not hard to imagine how the police stopped working for us.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Clarion Content said...

I seem to remember the Cincy cops having had several questionable shootings in recent years that provoked riots or near riots.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger jerseyaikidogirl said...

there were riots...but the issues were deeper than cnn made them out to be. that isn't to say that the cincinnati cops are wonderful people, just that that is one city that is full of issues.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home