...there's no place like the Turnpike

A displaced Jersey girl who adjusted to life in Kentucky just in time to head back home.

Friday, August 03, 2007

Un-real

I've been bothered by something for a long time now. I despise reality TV. But that isn't what bothers me, per se. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to watch people shoved into a contrived reality, like being locked in a house with someone that they don't know is actually their half brother.

What bothers me is that long ago I used to love watching the original reality show, the early seasons of MTV's The Real World. And I love watching Ace of Cakes. And I once lost an entire weekend to Showbiz Moms and Dads.

I should say more that this used to bother me. It doesn't bother me now that I've figured it out. I don't mind watching reality shows that actually just film reality and edit it together in a dramatic fashion.

It's the Survivor-BigBrother-Apprentice style shows that bug me. Let's put people in totally contrived situations and make them compete so that we can all watch the absolute worst in humanity come crawling out.

Ick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home