...there's no place like the Turnpike

A displaced Jersey girl who adjusted to life in Kentucky just in time to head back home.

Friday, September 21, 2007

A window into my marriage

A few months ago, my husband and I got new alarm clocks. They were pretty cool for a number of reasons. First of all, they were self setting. You just plug it in and the numbers whir for a moment and then the time is set. The second cool thing was that you can set it so that the display goes dark and you wave your hand in front of it to get it to turn on. A nice feature when you consider how bright that clock is in the middle of the night when you're trying to sleep.

One night, while setting the alarm, I noticed a point on the clock marked "wave sensor." I played with it a bit and realized it was the point to wave in front of to get the display lit. Then I noticed a spot marked "alarm days" and I figured out that you could leave the alarm turned on and have it go off just on weekdays, just on weekends or every day. Then I noticed a button on top that said "alarm off"...that was one mystery solved.

It was as I was finishing up the discoveries that I could have gleaned by reading the manual I saw a tiny spot that wasn't lit up but said "battery". That was the final piece. I knew how it set itself. There is a lithium battery somewhere inside that is capable of storing the time after it's been set in the factory.

All this went through my head in the moments immediately after setting my alarm.

I told all this to my husband when he came upstairs and he said to me, "You know what I think about when I set my alarm? What time I have to get up."

2 Comments:

At 7:07 PM, Blogger wonderturtle said...

I use my cell phone.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger jerseyaikidogirl said...

don't even get me started on the complex thoughts that go into setting the alarm on my phone...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home